Any advertisements or opt-in web forms that prompt potential users to opt-in must meet requirements set by the CTIA. The TCPA should also be considered.
The CTIA require that the following is included in all CTA's that provide opt-in instructions to potential users:
- Program (brand) name OR program description
- Delivery frequency or recurring-messages disclosure
- Customer care contact information* i.e. Text HELP to 72000 for help
- Opt-out instructions in bold* i.e. Reply STOP to 72000 to opt out
- “Message and data rates may apply” disclosure
- Display or link to terms and conditions
*Opt-out instructions and customer support information can be left out of the CTA if they are described in the comprehensive Terms & Conditions which are properly linked to from the CTA.
Other Considerations - TCPA
Ideally, your CTA should also include the TCPA disclosure used to obtain a contacts prior express written consent that:
"By opting in, you agree to receive periodic marketing text messages from [Company Name] delivered using automated technology via the short-code 72000. You understand that your consent is not a condition of any purchase."
At a very minimum, this disclosure should be included in your terms and conditions.
Terms & Conditions Requirements
Click here to view example terms and conditions.
You can also view a list of generic SMS marketing examples here.
Web Form Opt-In